RBCM 972.113.1 Bevin Bells bicycle bell display.
The Bevin Brothers, apprentice bell makers in East Hampton, Connecticut, opened for business in 1832. Their bells are found on prize dairy cattle, in boxing rings, on ice cream trucks, in Santa Claus parades, at Salvation Army kettle drives, and on children’s tricycles. Their first bicycle bell was made in 1865 for giant wheeled Penny Farthing bicycles. By the 1890s they sold bells to young ladies with “safety bicycles”, with two equal sized wheels and a chain drive. This twentieth century store display shows variations of form, including bells made by British and Japanese competitors. The company still exists but fire destroyed their original factory in 2012.